The aromatic and fragrant flowers enhance the beauty of a garden, and spread colors in life. Just like a barren and dry garden, the life would be if there were no children, it’s true to call the children the flowers in life.
Defining Child Abuse
When these blooming and gleaming flowers of life are crushed with cruelty and brutality it is called Child Abuse. Talking in a more descriptive and accurate manner we define Child Abuse as the physical mistreatment or sexual harassment of the children it is important to note that emotional exploitation is also child abuse.
The Child Abuse is not only confinedto sexually harassing a child, it can be of certain types.
- Physical Abuse
Physical Abuse refers to any act that harms the child physically it includes slapping, hitting, hair pulling etc.
- Emotional Abuse
When someone sabotages the self-esteem and the sense of self-worth or dignity of a child it is called emotional abuse.
- Sexual Abuse
Forcefully trying to do any kind of sexual contact or activity with a child is called sexual abuse.
- Psychological Abuse
When a bully or harassing person causes fear or threatens a child to harm him or his family. It is known as psychological abuse.
Sexual Harassment of Children
All kinds of abuses with children being condemnable, the sexual abuse especially with children is extremely inhuman and grubby act. Any kind of sexual contact or activity with a child without consent is sexual abuse. There exists an international law regarding this tarnish crime.
The United Nations Organization has an international treaty, Convention on Rights of Children (CRC). The articles 35 and 34 of the CRC obligates all of the countries to protect children rights and prevent sexual exploitation with children.
A Common Thing
Despite spreading awareness and making laws, still these kind of incidents remain a run of the mill. It is a common day to day news in developing countries including Pakistan and India, but even well-developed states like America are a victim of this issue, 7.9 million children fall victim of child abuse every year in USA.
An Evil in Pakistan
Only a few such cases are shown on social media and print media but the ground reality is that a number of cases remain undisclosed and they are never investigated. The reported cases of the horrific crime in Pakistan are 1,304 in last six months it includes 729 girls and 575 boys. It is reported that about 50 children face sexual abuse in Lahore alone. Most of the children face sexual harassment in Mardrisahs according to a report.
Cases of Child Sexual Abuse in Pakistan
We are only familiar with certain cases reported on media, namingly the most prominent being Zainab’s Murder Case, But there have been a number of such cases.
- In July, 2017 the panchayat of a village in Multan ordered the rape of a 16 year old girl as a punishment of her brother’s conduct.
- Two men were accused and caught red handed in Nowshera trying to drown a seven year old girl in a water tank. When police saw them they threw the girl in the tank and ran they were caught and the girl was found to be dead. The suspects have confessed to Kill and rape the girl on 22 January, 2020.
- Four children aged between eight to twelve years got missing in the city Chunnia in the month of June, 2019 and the latest victim Faizan got missing on September, 16th. The suspect Sohail Shahzad was arrested on October 1st. He was convicted by Anti-terrorism Court Lahore and given three times death sentence.
- A seven year old girl Zainab was fallen victim of a heinous crime, rape and then murder on 9th January, 2018 on 17th February, 2018 Imran Ali was found guilty for the murder and rape of Zainab Ansari and and another minor girl, Ayesha Asif.
- On the night of 31st December, 2019 a three year old girl Faryal was raped in Havalian, Abbottabad and left in the cold to die. This was followed by the rape and murder of an eight year old girl Minahil.
Effects on a Child
A child who has fallen victim of child abuse faces a number of consequences and it is very difficult for him/her to cope with the issues and problems such as learning, paying attention, emotional health and poor mental health.
Law Enforcement in Pakistan
Child sexual abuse cases keep haunting our country every time more severe, horrific and tragic.
These kind of incidents have spread a constant state of fear among the nation. Since the 18th amendment in the Constitution of Pakistan in 2010 the child protection legislation has now become a provincial subject. Different assemblies of Pakistan have passed bills and laws to protect the children.
Tips to Eradicate Child Abuse
- Understand your children.
- Develop a friendly relation with your children so that they share everything with you.
- Educating the people about child abuse.
- Parents should know the people involved in their children’s life.