A generator is such kind of device that converts motive power into electrical power for use in external circuits. Generators are machines that produce electric energy in the form of voltage and current. It produces electricity based on the principle of electromagnetic induction. Electric generators acts like a lifesaver. Electric generators full-fill backup power during power outages, which can occur in real-time situations. There are so many sources to produce mechanical energy, and the sources are gas turbines, water turbines, wind turbines, steam turbines, etc. Apart from all of these, there are several ways to produce mechanical energy.
Best generator for Residential Use?
At the present time, we use a couple of appliances like- machines and gadgets in our households to simplify our lives. Such as- coffee machines, blenders, washing machines to laptops, AC, TV, water purifiers, etc. Everything runs on electricity. In this modern era, we completely dependent on these things. In the case of electricity been collapsed, we feel completely helpless. Now, nobody wants their life to pause or to suffer during a power outage. That’s the only reason why everyone is investing in the generators.
Difference between portable generators and standby generators?
Generators are a very useful machine in our daily life. Generators become a part of our daily life as a lifesaver. Generators for use in lighting up our homes can fall into two very broad categories Portable and Standby.
When power loss occurs over a long period of time, some consumers visit hardware stores, and other retailers, to purchase portable generators. A portable generator is sometimes viewed as the appropriate option when it comes to delivering backup power in a critical situation.
Therefore, it is more important to know that there are many more options for being safe with reliable backup power.
Apart from portable generators, there is an option for Standby generators that runs automatically when the utility power fails. The homeowner doesn’t need to do anything for running up the generator, standby generators can sense automatically through transfer switch that can help to monitor utility power and transfers the electrical load to the generator and within 10 seconds, it will provide the power.
A standby generator is installed outside the home, looks like a central air conditioner, and runs on propane or natural gas. It will power up the critical appliances and systems like- lights, air conditioners, refrigerators, home security systems, office equipment, etc.
Some necessary difference between standby and portable generators
- A standby generator is permanently installed outside the home and looks like a central air conditioning unit, while a portable generator can be moved from one location to another.
- The standby generator runs on natural gas or propane and is connected to existing gas lines. Each time it must be filled with gasoline to run itself compared to portable generators. In addition, the oil must be changed frequently, especially if running continuously.
- A standby generator is fully covered inside its body, while a portable generator has exposed engine parts, which are often very hot.
- A standby generator delivers a stable and consistent power supply, which is important for advanced electronic devices like big-screen TVs, computers, etc. and some portable generators provide low-grade power supply, which can damage and break-down sensitive electronic devices.
- Standby generators are installed by professionals to provide full safety and “hands-off” operation for the homeowner. While Portable generators must be operated by the homeowner under the compulsion of an unexpected outage.
- A standby generator can power up the heavy and advanced appliances and systems in your home, including lights, heating/cooling systems, refrigerators, home security systems and more. Apart from it, If using a portable generator, then appliances must need to be plugged-in to the unit using extension cords. The extension cords must be covered with heavy wire, for the electrical and distance they run to the portable generator outdoors.
Some common factors to consider before buying an ideal generator for your home
Therefore, before purchasing a generator, you should set your budget. You can find both high-end and low-end products. Setting your budget allows you to make a suitable choice. One of the major reasons while buying anything as nobody wants to go over their budget. So, at the time you buy a generator, you must be sure about the high and low price products. After it, your budget will allow you to make an appropriate choice.
Needs of voltage
On a daily basis, we use multiples of electricity items in our homes. So, it is important to know the voltage needs or the power you’d require during outages. Basically, 3000-5000 watts is sufficient for a home.
Important and special features
Generators are run on petrol, diesel, and other fuels. So, you have to choose wisely, the type of generator that you’d want in your house.
Type of generator
A generator should also be selected after looking at all its features. Features such as cooling, automatic transfer switch, automatic shutdown, automatic voltage regulation, and wheel kit are desirable for an ideal generator. And the most important thing is to select a generator for home is to perform ‘Noise-free’.
Size of generator
These are small-sized generators that provide power between 2000 and 7000 watts. They are portable generators that are ideal for camping and home use. Medium generators provide power between 8000 to 20000 watts. And large generators provide 20000 to 40000 watts power.
Further Care and Maintenance of Generators
It is also important to shut off the generator on a weekly basis for up to 30 minutes under load. This will help to charge the battery and remove the excess wetness, lubricate the engine and filter the oil and foil also.
You should also keep remembering the records of inspections and service tests for future inspections and examinations. These records will help you to allow to know the state of your generator.
However, considering all these points I mentioned above. The voltage requirement of a home or small shop is generally between 5000-7000 watts. So, if you were are looking for an inexpensive option, then a standby generator is such an ideal option for home use. These generators are capable of powering all major appliances used in a home.